How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive never been real emotional or delt with depressing things

Customer Question

ive never been real emotional or delt with depressing things very well and i now find myself negative and not happy. what would u call that?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. Let me ask you a question. Do you have any medical condition?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your feelings. It sounds like you may have signs of depression. On your age (20), you may experience lots of stress since you are in a transition of life - the beginning of young adulthood that you may need to take new responsibilities. You may need lots of support and help from your family, friends and/or a counselor.
You may try some or all of the following to improve your mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Challenge yourself, 14. Avoid unstructured time, 15. Practice good personal hygiene, 16. Avoid depressed self-absorption, 17. Cultivate your sense of humor. Also, yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help.
Additionally, you may benefit from seeing a therapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT).
If you are open to counseling,
You can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty as depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
To find a specialist in CBT,
you may go to the website of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy ( in the U.S. and contact the office to get names of psychotherapists in your area -
Academy of Cognitive Therapy/
260 South Broad Street
18th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102/
Fax:(###) ###-####/
There are three books that may be helpful:
The book "MIND OVER MOOD by Dr. Greenberger and Padesky" may help you to understand the connection between your thoughts, feelings and behavior (action). Also, two books
"Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques for Assessing, Improving, and Maintaining Your Self-Esteem by McKay and Fanning" and "
The Self-Esteem Workbook by Schiraldi" may help you to work through your self-esteem issues.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i already do those thing i know if depressed friends and family help plus being outside help cause of the sun light and the vitaims it gives u but to be negative after all that and not to mention a physcian from the army thinks i have anger issuses or at least they wanted to check the signifats of ied which i failed and they to me to try back in & months and the new responsiblilties u speak of ive had since i was 18 and im doin better than most people my age my friends and family think i should talk to some one cause im negative and i dont get enthuse about things so once again wat would u call this wat ever i have
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. So are you in the army? A physician in the army think you have anger issues? If it is true, I wonder if you may have signs of depression since anger is a sign of depression in adults. You may see a counselor from your VA insurance. It sounds like you are under stress.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i was trying to enlist when they told me that