How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mina Your Own Question
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 188
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mentaly ill neighbour is making my life a misery she

Resolved Question:

my mentaly ill neighbour is making my life a misery she suffers from by polar disorder
and never sits down she is above me in a flat and walks around half the night opening drawers and marching about, she also is always having workmen in the flat and the hammering and banging is dreadful, I cannot watch tv or read a book, my doors rattle and I am already on anti anxiety tablets and fear for my own mental health
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 6 years ago.

I can understand how frustrating this must be. The extent of your actions depend on the nature of the noise and the time. It would be good first if you or even better a male family member knocked on her door and asked her politely to either wear slippers, or put carpet if she doesn't have one. If you have done that already and she ignores you then you can call the council to discuss this and see if you have any legal rights so they could send her a notice letter. If there are other tenants in the building then it may be wise to get them on board for a complaint. It would be also good if you could keep a diary with her noise nuisance to keep a record in order to support any complaints.

Have a look on the link copied here to see about further actions you could take.

In the meantime, try to relax by listening to soft music or other times wear earplugs if these help at all.

The council should be able to provide you with a solution to this.

I wish you all the best in your efforts

Mina and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you