Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

Im concerned that my son has a serious personality disord

I'm concerned that my son has a serious personality disorder.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hello, How can I help you with this issue today?

Customer:

I'm concerned my 33 year old son has an anti-social personality disorder and will never change. He has 3 felony assault convicitons, bulies everyone he comes in contact with, has extreme anger toward anyone who has slighted him, never takes responsilibility for his actions and has a addiction to meth and alcohol. He becomes very abusive and violent. We've tried everything...nothing works. HIs step-father is about to leave and says I need to cut him out of my life.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hello, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. It is difficult to know for sure if your son is anti-social or not. Often times alcohol and drug addiction causes a person to mimic a lot of the symptoms associated with antisocial personality disorder because the disease of addiction makes a person lie, steal, manipulate and abuse anyone and everyone.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I tend to agree with his step father's idea of cutting him off. People with addiction and antisocial personality disorder both respond better to negative consequences. I hope this answer helps.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Both are really difficult issues to cope with. I would suggest attending al-anon and/or families anonymous meetings to help you gain the strength to cut him off.

Customer:

You have been very helpful. Thank you very much.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

You are welcome. All the best to you.