How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K Your Own Question
Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 358
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My GP has prescribed an anti-depressant (Prozac) and an

This answer was rated:

My GP has prescribed an anti-depressant (Prozac) and an anti-anxiety (Xanax) for me. I am still depressed and paralyzed by anxiety. I assume I should see a psychiatrist?

Definitely see a psychiatrist. These are the most sophisticated medications we have in medicine and GPs just don't have the experience & training. Most psychiatrists avoid xanax at all costs because it can be habit forming.

In addition, the best treatment for depression and anxiety is a combination of meds and psychotherapy. These days usually psychiatrists do the meds and other clinicians (psychologists, social workers, etc) do the therapy. Therapy is proven to work by studies using brain scans.

I also recommend learning some formal relaxation therapy (yoga, tai chi, meditation,etc). All these treatments are proven by studies using sophisticated brain scans to calm down the brain.

Here are some self-help book ideas too: 1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression, Second Edition by Mary Ellen Copeland and Matthew McKay 3) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 4) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by ***** *****;

Good luck & take care. Let me know if you need more info.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would start with a psychiatrist and he would refer me to a therapist?

Start with your GP and see if he knows either a good therapist and could start both processes simultaneously. Talk with family & friends to see if they know anybody. If finances are tight you might wanna start by getting a list of your insurance company's "preferred providers." If you have no insurance, most communities have a local community mental health clinic that can provide both services for free or very low cost based on your income.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have insurance and I have an EAP (employee assistance program - I can get 6 sessions for free). So, you're saying I should find a therapist AND a psychiatrist? Would they work together or independent of each other? Sorry for so many questions. This is quite a daunting process for me.

Don't apologize for the should be asking them!! Once you find both clinicians, sign releases so they can stay in contact with each other. The therapist and psychiatrist need to be on the same page.

It never hurts to start with the EAP...keep in mind if you're not sure you like the therapist after the 1st can take a few sessions sometimes to make sure you feel the therapist is a good fit for you.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have found a psychiatrist on my company's list of preferred providers that is near me and seems to specialize in all of the fields I feel I need help in. Is it possible, or is it wise, to start with him and then have him to refer me to a good therapist?

That's perfectly fine...usually psychiatrists know therapists they like & trust.

Here's another thought....most people these days don't have many options for different could meet with the EAP one...then see who the psych doc refers you to...and then decide who you feels like the best fit....

Anything else?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's a wonderful idea. Thank you.
best of luck...we're always here if you need consultation
Dr. K and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions