How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 21 years old son, who is studing at University but

This answer was rated:

I have 21 years old son, who is studing at University but lives at home. He is doing poorly in the university as he spend most of his time in playing computer games. He never go out unless there is class. He sames no any friends. I asked him to get a job (volunteer job is OK) if he really doesn't want to study, but he just ingor me or angry at me.
I really need some can hlep him to make some changes.
Yun (Toronto)
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your son's situation. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. 1. Does he have any medical condition? ; 2. Is he open to counseling?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1. no.

2. not sure. I can ask him.

Hi, I can imagine how worried or anxious you must have been about your son. It sounds like he may be slightly withdrawn emotionally and socially. There is a possibility that he may have mild depression, anxiety. Additionally, he may have difficulty taking action in a constructive manner. You may consider taking him to a psychotherapist who specializes in life coaching or communication skills as he may just need a personal coach that may help him to set goals, guide his activity, provide support and direct advice, and/or develop social and communication skills. Indeed, many young adults of his age may have experience some difficulty in transitioning to adulthood.
You can search a licensed psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your city in Canada and optional category of specialty such as "Life coaching" or "Communication". Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty. He may also want to create his mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you or she can see it as an informational meeting. You and he can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

From you experiece, do you think if he is too old to make changes (I mean he is not young kid any more and he has his own oppions about his life etc..)

Hi, I think your son may make changes in many things and improve his social/communication skills if he gets help and support. Please feel free to continue discussion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your advice.