How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 25 yr old son tells me he has always had a death wish and

This answer was rated:

My 25 yr old son tells me he has always had a death wish and that he wants to kill his step father. He has told his sister that he has been depressed for months and his friends have contacted his sister noticing that he has withdrawn. His brothers say that he no longer talks to them just lets his thoughts go around in his head. He assualted my husband in an unprovoked attack on Saturday and then left the house driving miles to nowhere where he was arrested by the police for speeding and driving with a blood alcohol of .054 (he was on his provisional plates and now will face a fine and disqualification). I took him to the Emergency Dept at hospital yesterday where he was seen by a SW who offered to find him accommodation (because he wants to kill my husband). I am taking him to a GP this afternoon? Does this boy sound sick to you or am I making excuses for bad behaviour?
Hello. Let me say I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have been about this situation. It sounds like your son may have depression and emotional problems towards his step father. Suicidal ideation may be a symptom of depression. Your son may need treatment as soon as possible.
First of all, he may need to see his primary care physician for a physical check-up to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause depression. If he is healthy, you may consider taking him to a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist (M.D.). He may benefit from attending individual and family counseling. Perhaps, he may start from individual therapy until his condition improves. He may need medication evaluation and prescription from a psychiatrist (M.D.).
He may benefit from seeing a therapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) to work on depression.
You may call his insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
you can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty as depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
For any question on depression and treatment issues, you may contact National Institute of Mental Health/ Phone Number:(###) ###-#### Toll Free Number: 1-***-***-****/ Fax Number:(###) ###-#### Email Address:***@******.***/ Website URL: AND National Foundation for Depressive Illness/ Phone:(###) ###-####
If he is dangerous to himself or the other OR is unable to take care of self due to mental disorder, ask him to go to an emergency room of a local hospital. If he does not,
call A LOCAL MOBILE CRISIS TEAM or PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM designated by his city and county for psychiatric evaluation and involuntary hospitalization.
If he is in crisis now, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
I hope your son gets well with treatment. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you