Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
45699345

I have this paranoia that comes up on some occasions that

Hi there, I have this paranoia that comes up on some occasions that I'm going to suddenly do something awful like, for example, push someone in front of a train at the station. I then spend the rest of my day mentaly reassuring myself that I didn't do anything. To help with this onset paranoia I look for evidence at the time that they are fine (e.g. they are just standing at the platform waiting), and use this to help reassure myself.
There are some logical ideas I use to also reassure myself, such as 'if I had done something I would definitely know about it', rather than questioning whether I have.
I'm sure there must be other common sense solutions, and long to be like other normal people who would simply say 'I didn't do anything!'.
Please help, and thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. While I cannot diagnose your condition in this format, the symptoms you describe are suggestive of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. OCD can be a very difficult issue that requires professional help. Exposure therapy and Cognitive

Behavioral Therapy can be extremely helpful, often with the addition of medication. It is not unusual for obsessive thoughts to take over one's life. There is no reason for shame about this. You may find this website to be helpful for additional information: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml

Please keep in mind that you do not have to suffer alone. Reach out to a psychologist who works with OCD to get help with this issue. The psychologist will not be shocked by your thoughts as you are not alone with these types of obsessions and they do not mean that you are a bad person, only that the OCD has been interfering with your thinking.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.