How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mina Your Own Question
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 188
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to understand how my 10 year old son thinks so that

This answer was rated:

i need to understand how my 10 year old son thinks so that I'm able to communicate or at least understand him. Where do I start, a psychologist for me or a pediatric psychologist for me to talk to?

I would suggest that a Child Psychologist would be able to give you some insight into how children think, feel and behave and how you could possibly "connect" better with him and communicate on a level he understands. This could take from a few sessions up to a number of sessions depending on the circumstances.

Hope this helps

All the best

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess technically you answered my question. I'm not familiar with how this services works, so perhaps I did not phrase the question correctly. How do I find a child psychologist that has more experience with this type of request? Most searches that I've done deal with behavioral problems. This therapy is really for me so that I'm able to communicate on his level and know that I have connected with him. Is there specific terminology I should use when trying to find the right therapist. Navigating the medical field is a frustrating process, it's hard to speak with the professional to interview them without being screened by their receptionist that just sets appointments.

your request is not difficult to meet for a qualified Child Psychologist and all Child Psychologists should be in a position to help you with this request. The reason your searches come up with more results on behavioral concerns is that most parents would see Child Psych if there are any problems behavioral or emotional and not to find ways to connect with their children, which is really a very good and valid request. You are possibly thinking more pro actively and you are interested in forming a meaningful relationship with your child which is the most important thing. I wouldn't say that there is any specific terminology for what you are looking after. As you described it in your last reply is clear and to the point. I would not assume that you would have to "interview" psychologists in that sense as what you require is more general advice. As long as they have some considerable experience with children and are qualified Psychologists they should be able to help. There are different psychotherapy models that someone can use but in your case, I would say that this is not that important. However, I would suggest that it may be best to find a Psychologist who uses a more integrative style/model of work than only Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, as they might see things more flexibly. Something else that you may need to know is that most of the times, Child Psychologists work with the parents themselves as indirect work can prove to be very efficient. Therefore, they usually have a lot of experience working with parents.

If this is possible, you can request a call back from the therapist that you have chosen to speak to them briefly about your needs, instead of booking through a receptionist. I am sure that they would be more than happy to do this for you.

I hope this helps

Mina and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you