Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

I am on cymbalta 60mg daily. i have noenergy. ican't seem to

I am on cymbalta 60mg daily. i have noenergy. ican't seem to do the simpliest tasks. i was in a severe car accident 3/08 broken pelvis, one leg shorter . iam an RN but have not practiced in 27 yrs. i had my own business until untill 10/07. it was my life. I have been in 2 mental facilities, tried to commit sucide once with xanax and alchol. my business went bankrucpt. i have seen 4 psychologists. I tied to return to rn work but noone wants a 56 year old nurse who has not practiced of 25 years. I have 8 years of college. Lost a boyfriend of 35 years, I cannot seem to move, I feel frozen but i hide it around people. I worked in a drs office for 6 weeks this summer. I got fired. due to my infirminites and they gave me what i thought was crappy beneath me work, calling accts. payable over a year old. i have gained 100lbs since the accident. Where do I go from here? I know I am worth saving. Karen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Modern anti-depressants tend to favor either working on serotonin or norepinephrine levels.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Cymbalta does work on both, but still favors serotonin.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Your depression and lack of energy may respond better one one that favors norepinephrine, because these tend to give more energy. Examples would include Pristiq and Wellbutrin.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

It's also important to have your hormone levels checked, and even the function/levels of your adrenal glands, as the chronic pain and stress you have been under could have thrown these off. You may also need to see if you have developed Fibromyalgia, which can occur after an injury, and can cause symptoms of depression, fatique, mental fog, and other symptoms. New medications approved for Fibromyalgia include Lyrica (good for nerve pain) and Savella (used in the UK for depression, similar to Pristiq).

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

It may also be time to see a psychiatrist that specializes in managing chronic pain and the mood symptoms that go hand-in-hand with it. They may be willing to try other medications that a regular doctor would not consider, such as medications used for ADD and narcolepsy, to help stimulate your energy level again.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Best wishes,

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Selah