How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sarah Your Own Question
Sarah, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 143
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Sarah is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Brother has a psychiatric disorder diagnosed 12 years ago

Resolved Question:

My Brother has a psychiatric disorder diagnosed 12 years ago he is getting progresively worse he lives with my 76 year oild father.Im very concerned for my dads safety as he rang me tonight in a very bad way .I think my brother needs to go ino an institution. How difficult will it be to get him admitted.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sarah : Hi there,
Sarah : Arer you ready to chat?
Sarah : are you there?
Sarah : Can you tell me anything else about your brothers disorder - what has he been diagnosed with?


Sarah : Hello and welcome to JA.
Sarah : What does your brother suffer from?

He has been diagnosed as a schizophrenic

Sarah : OK thanks.
Sarah : To what extent does he realise that he has problems?
Sarah : How willing would your brother be to being assessed for an institution?
Sarah : Are you there?

He is very aware he has this condition he was married and living in america up until last year he spent 4 months in an american prison last year for trespassing his condition was not taken into consideration he has recently loist a freind to death

Sarah : If his symptoms are active at the moment, he could go to the hospital and see if they would admit him from there to the psychiatric department. Then they could assess him and see what he needs in the longerr term.
Sarah : It sounds like a difficult situation because he is caring for your dad, who is elderly.

I feel for the safety of my father whome he lives with .Tonight my brother decided to go walk abouts where he lives in the rain.

Sarah : It's not safe for either of them is it?

No it isnt something needs to be done.But i dont know what?

Sarah : Have you looked for support groups on the Internet, who can give advice about whom to contact in these situations? Someone like MIND would have lots of support to give.

I havent i will look this up thanks

Sarah : I understand you have to come to JA for this and that I am forwarding you on. These people have infinite experience with situations such as yours.
Sarah : It could be that your dad would have to go into some place, but he may not be ready for that, or el that he wants to at all.

I feel that my dad needs rest bite

Sarah : If you google schizophrenia or mental health with the word support, you will get various groups and sites that have loads of information. There will be phone numbers that you can call and other people who have been thorugh what you are experiencing right now. You are right to be concern, but you need support too. There are groups for family members and people who can suggest how you can get respite for your dad, bless him. 76 is not a time when he should be worrying about his son. You are a good person to be trying to sort this out.

Thank you for your help

Sarah : Is that helpful? I am sorry I cannot be more specific, but I don't have the experience that these people will have. Hopefully y I have pointed you in a positive direction.

You have Thank you

Sarah : You are very welcome. I do hope you get this sorted. Don't forget Accident and Emergency in an emergency situation. Please press accept if you find my answer valuable. With best wishes, Sarah
Sarah and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you