How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Your Own Question
Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2177
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to find some one to talk to who has experience with

Customer Question

I want to find some one to talk to who has experience with people who have been abused by a Narcisssist. I live in Noosa.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

I know from first hand experience that Individuals with a narcissistic personality disorder can truly victimize people who are in a relationship with them. By definition, people with personality disorders have chronic problems either forming or maintaining health and intimate relationships because of their behavior. If you would like to ask your question(s) about your experience, please proceed..................
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I almost have a degree in studying narcisstist after 10 years in a relationship and know so much about how they tick. But i suffer from depression and general anxiety and cant stop thinking about her after 3 years of no contact. Its like i have post trumatic stress disorder. I was a happy guy but now i feel like a basket case. No one understands what i went through and am still going through and I want to talk to an experienced professional. 3 years ago i talked to a clinical psychologist but she got into my head and I'm convinced she did more harm then good as i was in such a psychological vulnerable state. I went to her to try to understand about mycrazy girlfriend.and she decided to try to fix me. I didn't need fixing i needed someone who new about narcissism abuse. So Im very cautious as who i want to talk to. but I need some kind of professional help. Iv'e done alot to rebuild my life but I lapse and just cant seem to put it all behind me. I want to be me again
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
Perhaps the problem is that you can't reconcile a core conflict you have about this relationship. On the one hand, your 'emotional' part of your brain appears to want to understand why she would hurt you when you invested so much in the relationship; and can't really let go of her yet, emotionally. This part of you is still hurting, mourning and can't believe she turned out to be such an emotionally abusive wench. On the other hand, the rational side of your brain says, "I understand all about narcissism from first hand experience, she was pathological, no good for you, so why don't you just move on with your life and forget about her".

You can certainly trust that I'm not going to try to fix you. But, you haven't been able to bring closure to this relationship. You suffer from the relationship all the time---like you said, it seem similar to PTSD. There must be a healthy aspect of your thinking that knows what you want or need to start to heal. You said you wanted to talk to a professional that could really understand what you went through. What would this person do for you that would be different from a psychologist who tried to fix you, or who perhaps treated you with little empathy or support?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Psychologist I saw new nothing about Narcissists. And focussed on me. Like you said trust as she did and started delving into my subconsious.I wasn't mentaly ill when i went to her and only wanted to understand about Narscissism. At that point I still had an ego but I'm convinced she did more harm than good.I'm not completly blaming her because i would have probably crashed any way. I stopped seeing her and tried to move on but became so depressed that I admited my self into hospital because i wanted to take an overdose of sleeping pills. I was on antidepressants for 2 years and have been of them for one year. I think about going back on them sometimes. She started using EFT Emotional Freedom Technique.And all it did was open happily locked doors in my brain and she was completly wrong diagnosing me.I wasn't the one with a mental ilness. What you've said to me makes sense but my original request was to find a psychologist who was experienced with people who have been a victim of these particular sick people. Narcisissts rape peoples souls. They are demonic and I only want to talk to an experienced professional in this department unless you want to research as much as you can about them and the devastating effects they have on good people. I respect you as a doctor but need to talk to some one who maybe specializes in this department. This woman is still trying to ruin my life because i left her and I trully have been involved with a f**king Pycho only a holywood movie could pertray. Everthing ever written about the devil personifies this monster. I have no contact with her but she emails me abuse and lies and still lies to my friends and her four children she has to four different fathers.They loved me and I would council them about her but i had to break away and have no contact to get on with my life. Narcissist suck the life out of people and need victims to feast on. They are true life vampires and she is still feeding of the poor kids and they also suffer from deprssion I left the country for three years and was teaching English in Vietnam and now i have come back and just want to be rid of the depresion and anxiety that still effects me I have blocked her from my emails Projection Projection Projection. How does one get over this gut wrenching soul destroying nightmare thats called my life ? Can you put me in touch with some one that has a lot of experience with NPD. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
I'm not familiar with the Sunshine Coast area of Australia so unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a referral. However, I want to strongly recommend that you make some phone calls to clinical psychologists in the Noosa area and interview them briefly over the phone. Ask them if they offer a free initial consultation for say, 30 minutes and talk to 2-3 of them. Select the one you feel has the skills to help you most and the one that seems to know the most about Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I am sorry that the limited amount of contact allowable on this site does not afford me the opportunity to help you beyond answering a question or two. A clinical psychologist will be able to discern whether getting back on antidepressants makes sense for you.
Dr. Michael and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok Good talking to you and I feel a little better just by having your advice
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you receive the help and relief you deserve. I know this can't be easy for you.