How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has suffered with mental health issues since the

Customer Question

My daughter has suffered with mental health issues since the age of 14 since being first diagnosed they have changed the diagnosis and she has also endured constant changes in her medication. She is currently detained under the mental health act and has recently lost a tribuneral which in my mind has set her back she is in a very despondant state and I want to know how I can get her realsed into the community with a community care order which I know will help her as she has her own flat and is determined to get on, she does take her medication but just need support which is not easy to get when she is out of hospital, but at the moment she hates herself and I feel that the hospital is not helping her.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 6 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Your and your daughter's situation seems very difficult for the both of you. The draconian UK Mental Health Act limits appeals (tribunerals) to every certain number of months. There does not seem to be much slack in the system, at least officially.

I assume that your daughter was sectioned because she was deemed a threat to herself or others (reading between the lines I might guess that she had suicide attempts because of uncontrolled bipolar disorder).

I suppose that you have tried for a Community Treatment Order and were turned down. If you had guardianship over her, would that make a difference?

The best person to talk to would be an attorney who specialises in these situations. I have no recommendations to make in that regard, as to whom.

You are probably already well-versed with the myriad of rules and regulations. If not, I recommend the following website; within it is a book that you can purchase that clarifieds all of the rules and regulations.

I wish I could be of more assistance. For now, keep up your daughter's spirits, and your own, by taking positive steps to obtain her release into a legitimate community treatment program.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC