How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a few areas of concern that I would like to know more

Customer Question

Hi, I have a few areas of concern that I would like to know more about. Four years ago a military doctor diagnosed me with PTSD and major depressive disorder with psychosis. Other symptoms that were linked to this were: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks; impairment of short and long term memory; impaired judgement; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. At the time I thought the doctor didn't know what he was talking about because I didn't feel as if though I fit that profile. But now four years later I have finally accepted that I am definitely not the same person I was years ago, and I am really afraid. I'm emotionally numb, zero feelings for anything or anyone, this includes friends and family and also towards myself. I usually stay away from people unless I'm drinking, when I'm drinking I feel as if though I can get close to people otherwise I don't. I have not been able to maintain relationships with the opposite sex either, I also feel very very distant from my friends and family who I used to be very close with. I don't consider myself suicidal but the thought has crossed my mind several times, I just couldn't put my family through that.
I just took an online depression questionnaire and it reads: Major Depression:Very High, Dysthymia:High, Bipolar Disorder:Moderate, Cyclothymia:High, Seasonal Affective Disorder:Slight-Moderate
So my question is, what do I need to do exactly? Who do I need to see? Is there any type of miracle drug for these types of things? Or will these symptoms slowly disappear? Please help.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Do you have health insurance?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do with a 5K deductible, and I believe mental health is not part of the plan.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I will need 20 minutes to work on my answer regarding your treatment. Please be patient.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
It sounds you have suffered from PTSD and Depression. PTSD is one of Anxiety disorder and its symptoms include anxiety, panic attacks, flashbulb memory of traumatic events, nightmares etc. Symptoms of PTSD are similar to Anxiety and Depression. In your case, possibly your PTSD condition may have developed depression as well.
It sounds you have multiple mood disorders - PTSD, Depression, Anxiety.
Depression is a state of disease that affects body and mind. Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects memory, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. If depression is untreated, it develops PSYCHOSIS too. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzeheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. In order to treat PTSD and depression,
You may need phramacotherapy, individual therapy, and a support group for adults with PTSD. You may need a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in PTSD and Depression. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) will work for both PTSD and Depression. EMDR (Eye Movement desensitization and reprocessing) and CBT (RELAXATION TECHNIQUES, IMAGINAL FLOODING, GRADUATED & PROLONGED EXPOSURE, IMPLOSIVE THERAPY, STRESS INOCULATION TRAINING) are most effective for PTSD. You may need to find a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist who SPECIALIZES IN EMDR and/or CBT and PTSD & Depression in a community clinic, a local hospital or a private office setting. You may call your insurance company and can ask for a list of providers who you may work with.
You can also call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment described above even without health insurance. You can get counseling for free or low fee. Additionally, You can also check out HRSA (U.S.department of Health and Human services) (Website - health centers care for you, even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. Health centers provide • checkups when you're well • treatment when you're sick • complete care when you're pregnant • immunizations and checkups for your children • dental care and prescription drugs for your family • mental health and substance abuse care if you need it. Type in your address and click the 'Find Health Centers' button to find health centers near you. In addition, you may need a support group for people with PTSD and Depression. Check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area without insurance. support groups are usually free of charge in community centers. For any questions and resources for PTSD and Depression or any mental health questions and resources, contact National Institute of Mental Health Phone Number:(###) ###-####Toll Free Number: 1-***-***-**** Fax Number:(###) ###-####Email Address:***@******.*** Website URL: If you are in crisis, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center. To find a specialist/therapist for PTSD and get more resources, contact ANXIETY DISORDERS OF AMERICA- Please let me know if I have overlooked any and you have more questions. Ger well.