Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
45699345

RETIRED MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST, I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS

I AM A RETIRED MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST, I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS CONFLICT AND SEE YOUR OPINION: IT IS A COMPLICATED SITUATION: A CHILD WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED BY HER AUNT SOME YEARS AGO. SHE TRUSTED ME AND TOLD ME WHAT HAPPENED, SHE WAS 6 YEARS OLD THEN. I REPORTED THIS ABUSE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES AND THE CASE WAS PROCESSED, AND THE CULPRIT RECEIVED PUNISHMENT. NOW I AM THINKING THE CHILD'S MOTHER WAS INVOLVED AND SHE WAS AWARE OF THE ABUSE WHEN IT HAPPENED, AND WAS RECEIVING SOME MONETARY OR OTHER SORT OF BENEFITS FROM HER BROTHER IN LAW , WHO WAS THE PERPETRATOR. THESE DAYS I AM STILL IN CONTACT WITH THE FAMILY, THE GIRL IS 13 YEARS OLD AND I SEE THE MOTHER CONTACTING ANOTHER MAN WHO I SUSPECT IS A ANOTHER CHILD MOLESTER, AND I AM AFRAID THE MOTHER IS TRYING TO BENEFIT FROM CONTACTING THIS MAN, WITH MONETARY BENEFITS. THE MAN IS SOMEBODY I KNOW BUT I HAVE NOT PROOF OF ANY ABUSE YET, AND I SEE THE MOTHER ALLOWING HER DAUGHTER TO SLEEP OVER AT FRIEND'S HOUSES FREQUENTLY. SHOULD I REPORT THIS PROBLEM TO THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY? I DO NOT HAVE PROOF NOR ANY REAL SITUATION THAT I CAN GIVE EVIDENCE OF. BUT I KNOW WE HAVE TO REPORT EVEN IF IT IS JUST A SUSPICIOUS SITUATION, OR IF THE CHILD IS AT RISK.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

Customer:

Sorry, I said she was abused by an aunt, but was by her UNCLE

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the concerns you are having about this girl. Since you are retired, it does not appear that you would be in a position to be a mandated reporter. However, it is understandable that if you have concerns that you may still want to report your suspicions. You could certainly make a call to ChildLine who will investigate whether there is evidence of abuse and whether they need to step in to protect the child. ChildLine can be reached at(###) ###-####and they will let you know if this is a situation that they feel needs to be reported. ChildLine's website is: http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/partnersproviders/childwelfare/003670361.htm

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Customer:

THANKS

Lori Gephart :

You are very welcome. This is a very difficult position to be in, but I believe that it is always better to err on the side of protecting those who cannot protect themselves.

Customer:

Yes, I think so too, but I am afraid that everybody, like the child's mother and the agency will say that it is all my imagination

Customer:

Specially because it is her own mother

Lori Gephart :

It is possible that this will be their determination, but all you can do is report and leave the investigation to the agencies who are responsible for this. The system is not perfect. However, by reporting you know that you have done everything that you can.

Customer:

One more question: do you think the way I see all the factors make sense?

Customer:

and thanks

Lori Gephart :

It does sound as if this is a possibility that there may be a pattern here. Of course, I am not in a position to evaluate what has happened, however, the fact that you have a gut feeling/suspicion of abuse raises enough concern to suggest that a report would be very appropriate in this situation.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Please click the Accept button so I can be paid for my work. Best wishes, Lori