How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lori Gephart Your Own Question
Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lori Gephart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe my son has IED; how do I find a Psychiatrist who

Customer Question

I believe my son has IED; how do I find a Psychiatrist who specializes in these types of disorders. Our family doctor prescribed him something and I don't have the name right now and he had suicidal thoughts so now I am very concerned about a anti-depressant. Right now he is taking Xanax if he starts getting anxious and feels like he's going to explode.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.


Thank you - also can you give me a referral for a Psychiatrist?

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing with your son. While it is certainly possible that your son is experiencing Intermittent Explosive Disorder symptoms, it is also possible that his symptoms may be explained by a possible depression and/or anxiety disorder. The first step is to have a proper diagnosis of his condition. Ideally his medication should be handled by a psychiatrist, while he should also receive psychotherapy from a psychologist. If he has insurance, there should be a phone number or website on the insurance card that will give referrals of participating providers in your area. Also, most family doctors are able to give referrals of mental health professionals that they work with.

Anger, particularly in young men, is often a symptom of depression. While Xanax may be a reasonable temporary solution for him, keep in mind that this medication can be addictive if taken over time, so should be replaced with a more appropriate medication as he is diagnosed.

Also, if he has not had this already, a good idea is to have a physical, including blood work to rule out a thyroid condition or other medical problem that may be contributing to his mood.

Therapy can be very effective to help him to learn to feel his feelings in a safe way and develop tools to improve his mood. Other tools such as exercise, eating healthy, structuring days with some social interaction, meditation, volunteering and working can all be quite helpful. Sometimes the pain of feeling this way can be a good motivator to help the individual to do something about the problem and find out what is wrong.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.


He is very depressed and feels worthless but we have been dealing with his anger since he was 13. He's been in therapy several times and has gone through anger management classes. It seems these outburst are getting worse and he said it's because he has quit smoking pot. He said the only reason he smokes is to control his temper and that it's the only thing that has ever worked.

Lori Gephart :

It sounds as if he has been trying to self medicate with the marijuana use. However, finding an appropriate medication for the symptoms of depression would be much safer and more effective than using drugs. Worthlessness is a common symptom of depression as well.


ok - let me call my insurance company and see if they can help with a referral. we have 2 psychiatrist in our town and they are no longer accepting patients. If I answer accept now will I be able to come back and ask you anything else?

Lori Gephart :

You can wait until you have checked this out to answer if you like, since once you accept you would need to start a new question. In the future you can always request me by asking for Lori in the beginning of your question. I hope this is helpful.


What field of Psychiatry do I need to request

Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience: Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
Lori Gephart and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  cathy replied 7 years ago.
You can request counseling and specifically CBT. Its cognitive behavioral therapy. Very brief treatment and provides quick results.