Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Is is possible that someone can have anxiety symptoms

Customer Question
HI Is is possible that someone...
HI
Is is possible that someone can have anxiety symptoms everyday ? for the whole day ?, feeling out of it , pressure head that comes and goes, frequent urination, fatigue, moody ..
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2010
Mental Health Professional: Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist replied 7 years ago
Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

Customer:

HI

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. Symptoms of anxiety can be sporadic or very persistent. Millions of people (an estimated 15% of the population) suffer from devastating and constant anxiety that severely affects their lives, sometimes resulting in living in highly restricted ways. These people experience panic attacks, phobias, extreme shyness, obsessive thoughts, and compulsive behaviors. The feeling of anxiety is a constant and dominating force that disrupts their lives. Some become prisoners in their own homes, unable to leave the home, work, drive, or visit the grocery store. For these people, anxiety is much more than just an occasional wave of apprehension.

Common symptoms of panic include:

• Racing or pounding heart

• Trembling

• Sweaty palms

• Feelings of terror

• Chest pains/heaviness in chest

Dizziness and lightheadedness

• Fear of dying

• Fear of going crazy

• Fear of losing control

• Feeling unable to catch breath

• Tingling hands, feet, legs, arms

Generalized anxiety disorder is quite common, affecting an estimated 3 to 4% of the population. This disorder fills a person’s life with worry, anxiety, and fear. People who have this disorder are always thinking and dwelling on the “what ifs” of every situation. It feels like there is no way out of the vicious cycle of anxiety and worry. The person often becomes depressed about life and their inability to stop worrying.

People who have generalized anxiety usually do not avoid situations, and they don’t generally have panic attacks. They can become incapacitated by an inability to shut the mind off, and are overcome with feelings of worry, dread, fatigue, and a loss of interest in life. The person usually realizes these feelings are irrational, but the feelings are also very real. The person’s mood can change from day to day, or even hour to hour. Feelings of anxiety and mood swings become a pattern that severely disrupts the quality of life.

People with generalized anxiety disorder often have physical symptoms including headaches, irritability, frustration, trembling, inability to concentrate, and sleep disturbances. They may also have symptoms of social phobia and panic disorder.

Treatment Options

Most people who suffer from anxiety disorders begin to feel better when they receive the proper treatment. It can be difficult to identify the correct treatment, however, because each person’s anxiety is caused by a unique set of factors. It can be frustrating for the client when treatment is not immediately successful or takes longer than hoped for. Some clients feel better after a few weeks or months of treatment, while others may need a year or more. If a person has an anxiety disorder in combination with another disorder (such as alcoholism and depression), treatment is more complicated and takes longer.

While a treatment plan must be specifically designed for each individual, generally a combination of individual therapy, often in conjunction with medication can be quite effective.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Customer:

Are you a doctor ?

Lori Gephart :

I am a licensed psychologist.

Customer:

oh ok

Customer:

well i took some antibiotics that messed me up.. They say that it can harm the central nervous system

Customer:

cipro

Lori Gephart :

I would recommend that you have both a physical with your primary care physician to rule out any physical problems and an evaluation with a psychologist to receive an accurate diagnosis of your issues. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist