How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you provide the names of clinical psychologists in or

This answer was rated:

Can you provide the names of clinical psychologists in or North of the Atlanta,Georgia region who has an interests an clinical experience in the area of children with Selective Mutism.

Hi and thanks for writing JA

Please DO NOT PRESS ACCEPT as this is an informational request only.

I am happy to make some calls for you if I can help you but I am a little confused as to why you are narrowing your search to clinical psychology? If your child has already by diagnosed is there a specific reason you are requesting a clinical psychologist? Can you tell us why you are searching for a clinical psychologist specifically and not a child specialist or someone with a stronger background in this area?>

Thanks so much for the information so we can best help you from JA.

Warm regards,


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. My 10.5 yr old son was diagnosed with Selective Mutism in Ohio 3-4 yrs ago. We moved to Georgia 2 yrs ago but haven't found anyone with expert knowledge and enough clinical experience wihin this area of anxiety/social anxiety. We need to get him back into the system in order to secure the right treatment for him as he is having some academic underachievement issues at school. I asked for a child psychologist who has the proper training and years of expertise in this area in order to maximize his delicate and individualized mode of treatment whether it be behavioral and/or pharmacological therapy. I'm sure many psychologists are knowledgable and capable of treating anxiety disorders in children and/or adults, but in my professional experience as a primary care physician and as a father I know that a patient will benefit the most by being under the care and supervision of a qualified trained expert in this area of selective mutism. Now what other "child specialist" who may have a stronger background are you refering to in your question? Frankly if a pertaining specialist has the interest, knowledge, training and clinical experience to treat and manage a child with selective mutism successfully I do welcome any other suggestions or person with the pertaining credentials for consideration. Thank you for responding to my question and I'll await your follow-up reply and hopefully with names of professional experts within this area of childhood anxiety.

I have worked for several years with the wonderful experts at Emory University and find that one of the best clinical programs in the country. For whatever reason, none of the experts I have worked with over these years is a clinical psychologist so I am going to opt out of this query and allow others more qualified to respond.

In the interim I am sending you the site for childrens mental health at Emory which is not far from you.

In case you change your mind on this.

I wish you all the best on this.

warm regards,


Opted out and referred to a clinical psychologist online now. If there is no response this evening you can refer your follow up question to Dr. Sybill Keane who is a clinical psychologist and who will direct you from here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am being referred to you by Cathy after she opted out of the same question I will be asking from you. I am seeking the names of any clinical psychologist or similar mental health expert within the Atlanta, Ga or northern Atlanta area who has the proper training, knowledge, and clinical expertise and interests in the area of selective mutism. I live in Canton, Ga and I have a 10 yr old son who was diagnosed with this form of anxiety 3-4 yrs ago and who currently needs the expertise help of a mental health professional who has the knowledge-base and experience for treating children with selective mutism.


I thought you should be aware of a resource that will assist you in finding the right person in your area. You can contact the American Psychology Association for assistance with finding a Clinical Psychologist with the expertise and experience you require near you. Take a look at the American Psychology Association's locator service here. You can use this to find Psychologists in your area and there is a phone number you can contact if you want a referral arranged for you. I would recommend you contact them by phone so that you can specify your particular requirements. Also, take a look at an article published by the APA here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist.

I hope this is of some help, best of luck!

Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience: PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you