Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son just turned 5. He does not act like other children

Customer Question
My son just turned 5...
My son just turned 5. He does not act like other children his age. He talks constantly without a "filter". A stream of consciousness of everything occurring around and inside of himself. He hates organized activities or anything that involves following directions or rules. He can not do more that one thing at a time. He is still scared of make-believe things. He does not accomplish assigned tasks ...always gets distracted by something else along the way. Now that he is in kindergarten he says he feels stupid and hates school. He has good prerequisite skills such as counting, adding, subtracting, reading....but he says he doesn't understand a word the teachers say. Even when he is sitting quiet he is thinking about other fun things like television shows or playing with his toys at home instead of hearing his teachers instructions. What is wrong with him and how can I get him help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
9/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Have you had him tested by a neuropsychologist? It would seem to me that that is what is indicated. They will diagnose him properly and give you a treatment protocol that should help him. He may also need medication. But first things first. Get him tested .

Customer:

Of course I want him tested! But how can I get that accomplished? Ever since IDEA they dump all the pressure on the teacher to change up her teaching style and not identify children with needs. Its all about RtI (response to intervention) and getting great teachers to deal with troubled kids. I have at least 2 boys wandering my school with obvious asperger's and they go undiagnosed because teachers are designing accommodations for them. One is in fifth grade now! The nearest private child psychologist is 70 miles away and why should I have to pay out of pocket for testing?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear that you don't have adequate facilities at your child's school. I hear what you are saying but a lot of good that will do--- your child will still suffer and if left untreated will suffer a great deal and frankly will cost you a lot more later in life --- financially and emotionally. Where exactly do you live --- city/state?

Customer:

Brunswick GA. It is national policy since 2004 IDEA not to test kids unless they don't respond to teacher modifications. The thought is if he CAN learn then he is not disabled. What exactly do I need to do to MAKE the school test him?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

It sounds like that there is not much you can do about school policy. Furthermore I have no idea about how they function. I would call the school board and find out. However, as I said, I would not allow this to go on and wopuld seek out my own help if I couldn't get the school to cooperate.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Take a look at this --- It seems like they help parents with completing forms. It's worth a call.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Wrightslaw Georgia Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities Licensed Psychologist specializing in assessment and therapy services for children .... Brunswick, GA 31525(###) ###-#### Email:***@******.***

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Check out the web site. It looks like they may help with forms.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You there?

Customer:

Sorry I was cooking. Thank you for your help. I had not found this on my own.

Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor