Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I need to find someone who does behavioral modification for

a Asperger/ADHD teen. He...
I need to find someone who does behavioral modification for a Asperger/ADHD teen. He wants his way so much. It's become pathological. I usually blackmail him into obedience. How do I talk to an irrational asperger teen boy? Believe me he had lots of help/ I don't want to give up.
9/1/2010
Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

Let me ask you: Where are you located (city, town, etc.)?

None of the resources you mentioned under "already tried" were likely sources of the help you need. I'm wondering what you personally have tried i.e., any specific strategy or consistent approach?
He is defient. Maybe it's being a teen or High functioning autistic. I work with Teacch (organization that work with autism only) Autism society. I am consistant with parenting. But, not perfect. I pick my battles. Its the results that matters. Ususually I can get him on track by allowance money or things. If he don't get his way. (tantrums, ran away) He stop doing that recently. I think he is in the wrong type of school. He's smart. But, it is hard teaching him. I can't afford special schools. CMS school won't pay for it. They won't say he is in the wrong environment. They don't want to pay for it. Even if it is in the school manual. I think he needs to be in a very structured environment. Something I can't give. I have 2 more kids with aspergers. Doing well. I love him. But, afraid he is going to be in a mental hospital or jail. And don't know why.
There are a couple of avenues of help for you. First, let me say that you are likely quite knowledgeable and have found effective ways of impacting some aspects of his behavior, but you really do need an expert ally to help you "tweak" and adjust what you are doing. I was interested in learning where you are located because I may be able to give you a lead on some additional help. Someone in the school district e.g., chief school psychologist knows of another professional with a high level of expertise in applied behavior analysis. You are probably well aware that special educators sometimes have training in behavior analysis, but frankly, not many are very good at it. Such a person could greatly augment your current skills; they would likely begin by analyzing antecedents, behavioral issues and the consequences of the outcomes of particular behaviors. Basically, taking one behavior at a time and focusing intently on developing an effective behavior modification strategy for it; then move on to the next behaver, and so on. Literally, you would receive more advanced, formal training in behavior management through direct experience and practice.

School districts will continue to drag their feet and not spend money on a needy kid if they can avoid it----regardless of what their manuals and policies state. If you want them to get serious about accommodating this teen, look up the code, laws and district policies that pertain in your locale (I suspect you can recite them nearly by heart) and put them in a draft of a letter and have an attorney word smith it and then send it off to the school. The letter would insist that the school implement its policies for accommodating and educating this boy, or face litigation. Such a letter will produce results about 80% of the time---perhaps a new school and learning setting for this boy will be the result, if this what you'd like to see happen.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I have overlooked anything in providing this response.

"PLEASE....Show respect for your expert. If the information shared with you is helpful, confirm this by Accepting their answer and provide Feedback. Thank you!
Did that. Didn't work. Right now he is 17 and bigger. Teenager with asperger. Sometimes, it is like a teenagers on crack. Then add ADHD. I hate to see a capable kid. Become part of the system. Because it failed him. , I am in Charlotte North Carolina.
It wasn't clear from you last post whether your attempt to get the district to have you meet and work with an applied behavior analyst (via the School Psychologist's office) was something you tried and failed with; or, whether you have in fact, had a lawyer draft a letter, and the district ignored it (or this strategy failed in some other way). However, if you want to build your skills in managing your child's behavior, then I think trying to find another applied behavior analyst to work with is the 'way to go' here.

Here is one link in your town that should be able to help you in this area of applied behavior analysis:

http://autism.healing thresholds.com/therapist/detail/48921

I'm sure you are probably familiar with RSS located in Charlotte.

http://www.rssweb.org/site/

OR UMAR---

http://www.umarinfo.com/

I believe your son's age and physical size is quickly surpassing your ability to deal with him, especially if he gets angry and physical. I think he may need placement in a supportive group home that offers structure, support, opportunities for group counseling and vocational training, and through which young adults can hold part time jobs and learn to cooperate with peers in a living situation. You may not feel your son is willing or capable to make this move, but it does appear that this could be where he is 'heading' in his life. Hence, i provide the last two links for you to review and possibly contact.

RSS could at least help get your son referred for enrollment in a peer support group, possibly with other teens with Aspergers and autism spectrum problems. I'm quite sure they know of support groups for adults with Aspergers, as well as support and advocacy groups for parents of children with Aspergers.

Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
I'm sorry, I have done so much. The attorneys are still fighting for me. It is a civil suit. They did something horrible to my son. Last year. Actually, he regressed because of it. I also, used RSS before. But, not for assisted living yet. And groups. I will check out the websites. I hope I can find the right therapist. For the whole family. Thank you
It sounds as though you are exhausted physically and mentally from all of this and I'm truly sorry this has been such a battle for you. You deserve some help and I hope the leads I provided will help you find it. And soon!

I hope this answers your question.

Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist