How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. J Your Own Question
Dr. J
Dr. J, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 8
Experience:  Board certified practicing psychiatrist, trained at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder many

Resolved Question:

My brother was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder many years ago. He is currently on Depakote, Ambilify, and Risperdal. He was previously OK. However, for the past two weeks his behavior has turned strange. At first he was aggressive and threatening. This has seemed to go away after about a week. However, he now seems paranoid, experiences auditory hallucinations, and his speech doesn't make sense. He has been receiving all his medication (I have been giving it to him). Might a medication change solve this or does this sort of behavior clear up on its own without med changes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. J replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. J :

It is difficult to tell. Like all disease processes there can be a natural waxing and waning that can be unpredictable at times. This can be minimalized by taking the appropriate medications, as well as being compliant with taking those medications. Has he been compliant with taking his medications, as people with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder have a high incidence of non-compliance. If he engages in activity currently in which he is either a danger to himself or others, he should see his perscriber or go to the emergency room immediately. With his change in behavior that is troublesome, it would be best for him to see his prescriber as soon as possible. Although it is not a guarantee, the earlier that problems are seen such as this, usually the greater the chance of having effective early and successful intervention.

Dr. J and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you