Vicky
Vicky, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselor and Clinical Social Worker with 21 years' experience
15549300

6 yr old girl. 1st grade 1 week. getting notices from

6 yr old girl. 1st grade 1 week. getting notices from teacher she is disruptive in class. Wouldn't be worried, but kindergarten was a nightmare. almost everyday bad behavior. Im worried don;t want this to become a pattern in her new school. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Vicky replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Vicky :

Hi

Vicky :

Hi. There are many possibilities for what could be going on. Have you taken you daughter for any evaluations or requested that the school do any testing?

Customer:

are you a child therapist? I thought your profile said drug this is a 6 yr old.

Vicky :

I'm sorry. I am a licensed clinical social worker, also licensed in alcohol & drug counseling & currently in my day job I work with adolescents. I directed a parenting program for about 15 years.

Customer:

No

Customer:

are you there?

Vicky :

When children are disruptive or misbehaving, some possible causes include: difficulty paying attention, anxiety, depression, being extra sensitive to their environments, called "sensory integration"...some kids are extra sensitive and have more difficulty adjusting to things in their environments.

Vicky :

Did you notice any behaviors that concerned you before she started school?

Customer:

she had trouble throughout the year in kindergarten. No matter what the consequences her behavior never changed. She seemed remorseful, and was embarassed if anyone mentioned a problem at school. She liked her teacher, and we yhough it miight be immaturity. But it seems that even in the first week of 1st grade the lack of attention and not listening is starting all over again.

Vicky :

Has she had any difficulties sleeping or eating?

Customer:

no

Vicky :

Kids do mature at different rates & school can be stressful.

Vicky :

Has she experienced any trauma or anything that could cause her anxiety?

Customer:

not to change the subject, just curious how did you get my name? That's only a name my children call me

Customer:

to answer you question. There has been no trauma.

Vicky :

The name came up when I logged on to answer your question. Though not new to the mental health field, I am new to Just Answer. We review questions & select one to answer, & the chat window opens.

Customer:

Oh Interesting.

Customer:

We dont know what to do. But feel we need to address situation quickly. They put so many labels on children add adhd. the only solution we hear people talk about is medicating them. I just cant believe with a certain school envrionment or behavior modification we cant come to a solution. We are very worried afraid it will effect her class relationships her academic progress, make her stand out as the "bad child.

Customer:

Where do we go for help?

Vicky :

I think you have tried some good things. Structure helps kids feel secure & I like the Love & Logic materials. Plus you're meeting with the teacher. Have you observed her in the classroom yourself & if so, what did you see? While you're answering this I'll type in a little info about ADHD.

Customer:

Do we look for a particular type of school. Maybe the classroom of many children is not for her

Customer:

No we have not observed her in the classroom. But I believe that might be difficult if she sees me in the classroom her attention will be on me, not her regular behavior when I'm not there

Vicky :

By no means do you have to assume she has ADHD & I understand your concern about labeling. It is a valid condition but even if she has it, it does not mean you would have to give her medication. You would discuss that with a doctor and only do this if you consent. She may indeed be overstimulated by the number of kids in the room. I think you will have to watch closely during this year. More info coming...

Vicky :

I understand your concern about her being different if you're there. She might, but then again you might observe her interaction with the other kids & how they're responding to her, how the teacher is with the kids, etc.

Vicky :

Since she had the problem last year, obviously something about it is stressful for her.

Customer:

Are there schools that do better with children who dont listen and are easily distracted? What about Montesori?

Customer:

So let me ask if where should we begin? Talk with her teacher, Observe her in the classroon, make an appt with a child psychologis?

Vicky :

I think that an occupational therapist who is knowledgeable about sensory integration could assess whether there is an issue there, and a clinical or counseling psychologist could test for ADHD. But yes, all teachers and schools are different, and some teachers are much more attuned to kids who are easily distracted. I would suggest that you request that the school evaluate her for an IEP (Individualized Education Plan). Federal law permits you to have this evaluation & the IEP requires that special consideration be given to her learning needs. I would do everything you mentioned.

Vicky :

The school can give you a copy of your parental rights regarding this federal law.

Customer:

thank you. Have a good evening.