How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamara Your Own Question
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1073
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Tamara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I deal with an adult daughter of my husband, who appears

This answer was rated:

How can I deal with an adult daughter of my husband, who appears to be trying to break us up? She has just gotten married and she should be happy. eg she called 2 days after the wedding screaming that I didn't wear my corsage properly and that she wishes my husband would find a new girlfriend. In the past she has tried to order me to do things and I flatly told her I wouldn't be bullied into doing anything. Thats when things seemed to go downhill. She has successfully sabotaged other relationships of my husbands in the past. I even had to send her a note apologizing for the way I wore my corsage. I always wanted daughters and I want nothing more than a loving relationship with his girls. (the oldest is fabulous). The happier my husband and I appear, the more aggressive she seems to become.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem with your husband's daughter. It sounds like she is very difficult to deal with. The best solution, obviously, would be for your husband to step up to the plate and defend you by telling her that her behavior needs to change, or she won't be welcome in your lives. This really is his responsibility to take care of. However, if he won't do that, then your best alternative is to ignore her and not give her the satisfaction of causing you to be upset. The more she knows she bothers you, the more she will try. Don't respond to her childish behavior, ignore it, and do your best to be kind. Hopefully she will realize it's not getting her anywhere and she will grow up.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Tamara and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you