How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Selah R, M.S. LPC Your Own Question
Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 582
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Selah R, M.S. LPC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom is 91 years old. She hears voices. She thinks that

This answer was rated:

My mom is 91 years old. She hears voices. She thinks that every one is against her. She was living with me but decided that my husband was evil and trying to get me to steal all of her money. She said that she wanted to kill him. I moved her into a little apartment across the street so that I could see her every day and take care of her. I sleep at her house evert other night so that she is not always alone. I see her every day before I go to work and every night after work. Her halucinations are getting much worse. Her Dr. has started her on Depacote (Probably misspelled) and Aracept (also misspelled) Today she told me that she heard her neighbor telling her other neighbor that my mom was a prostitute and that my mom was punching her in the face. Her moods go up and down but most of the time she is angry and paranoid. Very rarely is she nice. I do not know what to do next. I am really lost. I love her so very much burt I am exhausted and I don't know how much longer I can handle this. What is my next move? Please Help
Chat Conversation Started
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

First of all, she needs to be seen by a psychiatrist or neurologist who specializes in geriatric populations so they can rule out dementia and have a better idea of what medications can best help her symptoms. We do see delusions, hallucinations, paranoia, and mood swings in elderly who are experiencing dementia, such as Alzheimer's. These are often treated with anti-psychotic medications (like Abilify) and mood stabilizers (like the Depakote you mentioned).

You can ask her insurance company if they pay for home health care. This can provide nursing staff to come in a few hours a week to help take the load off the family and give you time to step away and take care of your own needs.

It may also be time to look into intensive outpatient programs (some are specifically designed for adults with her symptoms, and some even happen at night when the adults may be most active and the family least able to provide care and supervision).

The last option is full-time care at a nursing home care facility. It's never an easy choice to make, but sometimes it is the safest for everyone concerned. Some newer facilities feel more like residences and less like hospitals, and again some have programs that specialize to meet her mental health needs.

If your doctor can not point you in the direction of care programs like these you can either try calling 211 from a local landline telephone, you can call a local nursing home to see if they know of programs that deal with her issues, and you can also call the local Adult Protective Services or Department of Aging & Disabled Services to find out more.

Best wishes,
Selah R, M.S. LPC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you