Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Hi I've been on Citalopram for 6 months but it hasn't really

Customer Question
Hi I've been on Citalopram for...
Hi

I've been on Citalopram for 6 months but it hasn't really helped. Have been self harming. Is there any other drug I can take?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
8/2/2010
Mental Health Professional: FamilyPhysician, Doctor replied 7 years ago
FamilyPhysician
Who is prescribing your medication?
Have you been seen by a psychiatrist or psychologist?
What "self-harming" behavior?

My GP.

Just got an appointment with a psychiatric nurse.

Cutting myself and hitting myself

I'm glad to hear that you have an appointment with some specialized care (psychiatric nurse), but you may need to consider more aggressive treatment including an inpatient psychiatric admission if your depression and self harming behavior continues.

There are a number of different antidepressant medications including a number of other medications in the same class as citalopram. There are other medication is different classes including bupropion, amitriptyline and lithium.

The psychiatric nurse hopefully will work with you to develop a treatment plan involving both medication and counseling.
I have twice been admitted to hospital for over-dosing but the NHS doesnt take it seriously. I find it dificult to sleep. I think i will be totally overlooked and will lose my job and home.
When is your appointment with the psychiatric nurse?
More help please. I feel I am losing everything. I lost my partner, and am losing my family because they dont believe theres anything wrong with me. I am desperately unhappy.

Nurse can only act within her job in NHS, I hate myself that much, am about to hit myself.

At this point, you need to seek EMERGENCY medical treatment at the local hospital. DO NO HARM YOURSELF
GO TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY
I have been to hospital 3 times in 2 weeks. They refer me to my GP who, is wonderful, but only knows Citalipram. Psychiatric nurse has more pressing cases. I hate myself.
I have been to hospital 3 times in 2 weeks. They refer me to my GP who, is wonderful, but only knows Citalipram. Psychiatric nurse has more pressing cases. I hate myself. my batteries gone.
You need to go to the hospital and request immediate evaluation by a psychiatrist (physician) and possible admission to a psychiatric unit.
FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Doctor