Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

I have extreme Agoraphobia and Gen anxiety and have had for

I have extreme Agoraphobia and Gen anxiety and have had for more that 10 years. Even had ECT to see if hidden Depression was the cause. (no Luck) I have had childhood trama and have Ptsd...I haven't been able to leave house for a year. Have done behavior work and exposure and still no luck. Are there Therapist that work with patients in home (either in person or via phone) for these issues and if so how do I find them in Central Florida?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 7 years ago.
Hi. Sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment. A Clinical Psychologist will be suitably trained to assist you with trauma related difficulties and many Psychologists will work in a person's home or via the telephone. The best way to locate a suitable Clinical Psychologist in your area is to contact the American Psychology Association for assistance with finding one near you. Take a look at the American Psychology Association's locator service - http://locator.apa.org. You can use this to find Psychologists in your area and there is a phone number you can contact if you want a referral arranged for you. Also, take a look at an article published by the APA - http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2010/05/locate-a-therapist.aspx. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist. There is a specific a specific form of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) called Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) that I can highly recommend. It was developed by Edna Foa and her colleagues in the US and can be very effective in treating PTSD. The APA should be able to tell you what training the Psychologists in you area have and you may wish to consider one trained in CPT. I hope this has been helpful, best of luck.