Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am having a hard time leaving the house. I don't have

Customer Question
supportive family or friends and...
I am having a hard time leaving the house. I don't have supportive family or friends and desperately need a prescription to an antianxienty/antidepressant yet I can't bring myself to find and then schedule an appointment with anyone even though I think I should on a daily basis. Are there any services (southwest Michigan/kalamazoo area) I could call or write to have them coddle me through this? Its been months and I haven't done it for myself and I know things will only get worse. I am sure this is a common problem for the severely depressed yet I can't seem to find any solutions tailored to us. Maybe I'm just more hopeless than most, I don't know. Any thoughts or nicely layed out bullet lists? Thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
8/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr John B, Psychologist replied 7 years ago
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Hi. I'm glad you posted this. Sorry to hear you are struggling it is definitely time to get some professional help. You are certainly not 'hopeless' as Depression can be a crippling illness and many, many people with Depression have great difficulty leaving the house or completing tasks - it's part of the illness. You were right to be nervous about commencing Celexa without professional supervision. Psychiatric medication can have some very nasty side effects and knowing the dose schedule is not the only thing that influences prescription decisions. I would strongly recommend you consult with a Clinical Psychologist for two reasons: Firstly, a Psychologist will be able to help you leave the house so that you can consult with a GP/Psychiatrist regrading the anti-depressant medication you should be taking. Difficulty leaving the house is actually reasonably common and a Clinical Psychologist will be very familiar with tackling the problem. Psychologist are often quite flexible in their working arrangements and one may be able to work with you over the phone initially or come to your home. Secondly, Clinical Psychologists are often trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT in combination with antidepressant medication is widely regarded as the gold standard treatment for Depression. CBT is a psychotherapeutic approach that aims to solve problems concerning dysfunctional emotions, behaviors and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic procedure. Treatment is technique driven, brief, direct, and time-limited treatment (normally 10-12 sessions).
Many CBT treatment programs for specific disorders have been evaluated for efficacy and CBT is favored over other approaches such as psychodynamic treatments. In the United Kingdom, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence recommends CBT as the treatment of choice for Clinical depression. I would strongly encourage you to consult with a CBT trained Clinical Psychologist as I would expect you get great benefit from this approach. You can contact the American Psychology Association for assistance with finding one near you. Take a look at the American Psychology Association's locator service - http://locator.apa.org. You can use this to find Psychologists in your area and there is a phone number you can contact if you want a referral arranged for you. Take a look at an article published by the APA - http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2010/05/locate-a-therapist.aspx. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist. In the mean time I can also recommend this excellent website (www.beyondblue.org.au) for access to a variety of resources. You could also consider accessing a CBT based self-help book which will teach you some introductory techniques for dealing with Depression. I can recommend this well known manual (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898621283/mindovermood-20) as a good way to start. I hope this has been of some help, best of luck!
Dr John B
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist