Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

I have by choice separated myself from my only family

Customer Question

I have by choice separated myself from my only family member, my mother due to years of neglect and recognizing that it is unhealthy to stay in a relationship with her waiting for the day that she will learn to love me. I am 38 years old and a single mother of two wonderful teenagers...I have no support at all and am wondering if their are any support groups for people without any family members. My daughter is going to college and this is a very difficult time for me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
To help me to help you, can you tell me how long you have been going to counselling, and what kind of counselling you are having?

NormanM
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had counselling for years. Different types of therapy. Primarily for physical, sexual and mental abuse suffered by my mothers husband. Much of which I have worked through. Currently I am working with a behavioral therapist to help me with the daily "ticks" which come from living through such experiences. We also have been working on me being more assertive and active...actually this has led me to the place where I have decided it was no longer healthy for me to stay in a relationship with my mother. I feel that this councelor has been a great help and also that it was just the right time in my life and development to come to this conclusion of separation from an unhealthy parent.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
no answer still