Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Not sure if this is an appropriate question for here but

Customer Question
Hi. Not sure if this...
Hi. Not sure if this is an appropriate question for here but here goes.
I am currently being treated for chronic anxiety and severe nightmares / insomnia rsulting from my involvement in 911 when I was working in the USA.
My medications are quite strong.
My problem is that I am also housebound because of both physical and mental conditions.
I cant find any way to continue my medications that caters for disabled people who can no longer attend the clinic for reviews.
I am facing the fact that if I cant meet appointments then medications will stop completely.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: Sarah, Psychologist replied 7 years ago
Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
HiCustomer
Thanks for your question. I hope I can help you. I assume you have spoken to the clinic and your doctor regarding the situation. if you are already in therapy, ask your therapist to write a short report about how your anxiety keeps you the house and how you are unable to fetch it at the current time and see if something can be arranged for you. Having said that, it could be counter-productive to put in place a long term arrangement for you to receive your medications at home, when one of the therapy goals is to get you out and about? If this is the thinking behind your need to fetch your own medications and be assessed at the clinic, maybe you could try and come to some agreement - for example, in two months time you will try and fetch it yourself and use this as a role to work towards. see what your therapist thinks.
With regards ***** ***** therapy, have you heard about EMDR, eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing? This is the recommended therapy for trauma by NICE (National Council of Clinical Excellence) that is being used all around the world and can gently allow you to let go of your memories and anxieties in your own time, so that they are allowed to drop back in time instead of being at the forefront of your mind all of the time. It works using your subconscious mind and can be quicker than other talking therapies because of this. When we experience anxiety on a normal level, we process it away at night during REM sleep (rapid eye movement) but when the anxiety reaches abnormally high levels (as you have experienced) then the brain tries to process it away at night, but is unable to do so, causing nightmares and flashbacks. EMDR simulates REM sleep so that the brain is assisted in processing the memories away. If you haven't come across it yet, have a look at www.emdrassociations.co.uk for more info and ask at your clinic if it is available. it is used for servicemen and women who return from the war and is totally appropriate for your involvement in 911. I would like to congratulate you for your part in 911, but please know that you can be released from your continued trauma. I do hope this is answer is helpful to you.
Hi. Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe I should have told you i am quite medically savvy and research both medications (member of BNF for example) and the law (17 years) including DDA (and now equality Act 2010), the Mental Health Act etc. I also research all NHS, GMC documents but I have yet to find any UK doctor who actually knows them or follows them.

Its not that I dont already have documentation from doctors and specialists (well over 100) its just that both the trusts have no provision for treating patients who cant make it to fixed appointments at their locations.

It seems unusually cruel that doctors can just cut off vital medications just because of a disablity. And as to treating me to get out and about we gave up on that years ago as it usually means a trip to the local A&E and then weeks of treatment with additional medications such as Lorazipam. Attending medical appointments actually makes me worse every time.

I dont expect you to be knowledgable in the Law, or even my exact mental health issues, but I am asking how doctors such as yourself would solve this problem. Do your prisoners come to your facility for example?

If I cant find a solution then I will have no choice but to self medicate, which is not what I want, mainly because it would be totally unmonitored.

To be specific, my concerns are how does a housebound disabled person get the same level of treatment as a non disabled person who can attend the clinics?
hi, I don't work in the prisons at the moment, but prisoners requiring medications would have them dispensed by the prison hospital. I'm afraid I would not know how you could get your meds if they won't bring them to you. I was trying to remain positive in my last answer, but it sounds to me like you have a case for equal opportunities -how can it be that the people who need it most cannot have their meds delivered - it doesn't make sense and isn't supportive or fair. I'm not sure I've been at all helpful, so feel free to relist. Take care of yourself, Sarah

Hello again,

I had a thought. Maybe you could have an assessment over the telephone or arrange a webcam assessment with someone at the clinic? They could always use the postal system to send your meds or arrange for a friend to fetch them. Maybe we were over-complicating the problem?

Best Wishes, Sarah

Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Sarah
Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist