How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 32, has a 7 yr old son and is in prison because he

Resolved Question:

My son is 32, has a 7 yr old son and is in prison because he is an addict (oxycodon). He has been in rehab a few times and was arrested twice. He was sentenced to 24 months and is going to do the work program. As soon as my younge son and I heard that he was going to be allowed to go out and work, we went into panic mode becaus his problem has not been healed or addressed on any level. How should we handle it? Let him make his own decisions and get into God forbid more trouble, let him know how we feel when we visit him? This situation is so bizarre, heart breaking to me and my family, we need help before the end of August, when he will be starting the work program
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

How tragic that the prison system sets people up for failure like this. If this were my son, I would make sure he was enrolled in a treatment program as soon as he entered the work release program. He needs some accountability and guidance, or he will most likely go back to his habit. Of course, as an adult, he can refuse, and then you will need to allow him to experience the consequences of his actions.

If you haven't been to Alanon yet, please go. You will receive support and some ideas of how to help him. Let me know if you have further questions. I wish you the best.
Carol Kryder LMFT and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions