How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1945
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old daughter lies and steals. Its almost like an

This answer was rated:

My 18 year old daughter lies and steals. Its almost like an addiction. It has a massive impact on our family. We want to get help for her. Should we look for a therapist, psychotherapist, psychiatrist? Who would be best to help her?
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

I would look for an counselor who works with addictions, as I'm sure you're picking up on something there. Many social workers and family therapists have that specialty alongside their others skills, and this will help you get two birds with one stone.

Here is a great article on what to expect from therapy.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication if needed, but most do not do much counseling. They're great at diagnosing problems, so if the counseling isn't bearing fruit and it looks like she may have strong Obsessive Compulsive issues, then I would seek an evaluation with a psychiatrist.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.



Anna and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you