How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamara Your Own Question
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1073
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Tamara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother is aged 79 and has recently become obsessed by

This answer was rated:

My Mother is aged 79 and has recently become obsessed by worry - everything from worrying about where to park if she and my father go out, to worrying about how she would cope if my father dies and she is left alone. She is so worried that she now finds it almost impossible to eat and sleep. Her GP is looking at eating dis-orders, but I feel she may need some psychiatric help. What is your advice, and how would be go about getting to see a psychiatrist is appropriate?
Geoff Webb
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems with your mother. I'm sure it is very distressing for you. Based on what you have said, I would agree that she should see a mental health professional and probably get on some medication. I think the first GP was likely headed in the right direction by putting her on an antidepressant. I suspect that would make a big difference in how she is feeling. I don't think sleep medication is heading in the right direction. She is getting old and she is experiencing a lot of anxiety around the idea of loss. Sleeping better isn't going to help with these feelings. She needs to be on an antidepressant, and perhaps some antianxiety medication. Either go back to the GP who prescribed them in the first place, or find a good geriatric psychiatrist. Personally, if she were my mother, I would go back to the first GP, get her on an SSRI antidepressant, and give it a good 4 weeks before seeing if any further action needs to be taken. If that doesn't seem to help, then I would check into seeing a psychiatrist. She's OK. She's just dealing with a lot of anxiety over all the obvious possible losses, and some appropriate medication will go a long way in helping her feel better

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara
Tamara and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you