How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently saw a psychiatrist to ask for something for

Resolved Question:

I recently saw a psychiatrist to ask for something for anxiety. I have a history of sexual abuse that has recently come to the surface. I'm doing fine except at night when I have a harder time controling the memories and the flashbacks. This makes it sometimes hard and scary to sleep which is affecting my functioning during the day at times. He prescribed serequel 25mg. I asked him why and all he said was "I think this would be the best thing for you." I haven't taken it yet. Isn't that an antipsychotic? I'm not crazy!!! I'm rational. I see things for what they are. I just need to muscle through the memories. Once I remember them, I put them in the proper perspective. Why serequel? The nightmares aren't even every night!! Wouldn't something PRN make more sense???
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

I am not a doctor and cannot say for sure, but I know of several docs who prescribe Seroquel for flashbacks and especially for sleep. He probably wants you to be able to sleep without all the memories flooding back. No, you are not crazy, and even though Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic, it is used for many other conditions.

My recommendation is that you discuss your concerns with your doctor and ask for something PRN if that is what makes you comfortable. You need to be able to work with your doctor in partnership. If you still feel that he is not cooperating with you, find another doctor. You need to trust him and believe that he has your best interests at heart.

My best to you. Take care.
Carol Kryder LMFT and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you