How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just out of a 30 year relationship, 20 year marriage.

Resolved Question:

Just out of a 30 year relationship, 20 year marriage. Terrible divorce with 14 year old son. I stopped Phd to help build medical practice. He has held on to all, everything He hid everything. He fits every criteria for abuse except for actually striking. (he has raped). I felt I escaped. Our divorce is coming to a close. Although he has proven throught the court system that he can win custody he has sllowed me to have my son. However he is making visitation painful and difficult with continued fighting ad controlling of everything I do. My current partner has suggested I just let my son go. I am struggling in pain about what to do. Dealing with this man is killing me. I had physical/medical problems when I finally left our marriage. My son is somewhat passive and feels very torn. My partner feels he should stand up for me more given what this man has done to both of us. I am currently in therapy. She seems overwhelmed by my divorce situation.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

You are definitely in a terrible situation and a very high conflict divorce. Even though you are divorced from him he is still controlling your life and you are suffering terribly as is your son. I do not recommend letting your son go. If your therapist is overwhelmed by your divorce get another therapist immediately. However, I am not sure exactly what your question is. Can you clarify?
Carol Kryder LMFT and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you