Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I have been on low dose effexor xr for ten years (it was

I have been on low dose effexor xr for ten years (it was meant ti be shirt term after my mother's eath.) This spring my dose was rapidly increased from 75mg a day to 300mg a day.. I now am having lots of side effects (sweating dry mouth insomnia, etc 0which are harder to live with than the mild depression. How fast can I lower the dose without having withdrawwal problems?
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Wow..that was a huge jump, and I wonder if it was a mistake on someone's part. Reducing by 25% every 2 weeks is layman's answer to withdrawal on Effexor...at that rate, you will have very little side effects, and it might show you a dose that works for your depression without the side effects you've had problems with.

You're making a smart move to rule out something else as the cause of your symptoms, but I suspect it was the large dose of Effexor after such a long time on a smaller one.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna