Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I have been on prozac for 15 years ranging from 20mgs to

I have been on prozac for 15 years ranging from 20mgs to 60mgs daily. I have tried to wean off them and I have got to the stage where I take 20mgs on alternate days but then I feel very sad. Although I admit prozac does not help me as much anymore. Is there an alt antidepressant you would recommend
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You've gotten far more years out of Prozac than most people - it usually starts to show signs of not working in 3-5 years. Switching to any of the SSRI's will usually do the trick and get you back to a non-depressed form. Wellbutrin XL is one with very few side effects, so I always suggest that one first. If you have anxiety with your depression, Lexapro is a commonly prescribed medication.

There are quite a few that have come out since prozac hit the market and your physician is really the best source to choose the new medication as they know your history and likely side effect profile.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna