Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

We just discovered that our son is doing heroin and we need

We just discovered that our son is doing heroin and we need to approach him! What's the first step?
Hello:

His employer told you your son is using heroin? Yes, you need to approach him and demand that he get treatment now. He will also need to avoid the friends that he has who are using heroin and develop a sober support system.

You and his father need to confront him and take him to a treatment facility for an evaluation. If he refuses, there needs to be a significant consequence. You and your husband need to decide on the consequence before you talk to him. This will be an intervention.

The first step is to find a treatment facility (outpatient) in your area and ask them to help you with the intervention. They should be able to advise you. Make the appointment and escort him to the facility. As I said, if he refuses there needs to be a significant consequence, such as kicking him out of the house. You need to get his attention.

I wish you the best of luck. You have a tough road ahead.

Warm regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They didn't say he was using heroin. They stated he had be acting really strange and strange people have been visiting him at work. They had given him a key recently to come in and take of some things. They found needles and a spoon after he was the last one there. We are assuming heroin because of the needle and spoon. We have no idea what to do. I am his future step dad and we (my future wife and I) are communicating with his real father to develop a plan of action. He is currently with his father on vacation for the 4th of July. We are discussing all options before we tell him that we know. We want to do the right thing for Matthew and keep him safe!
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it is either heroin or he is injecting meth. My advise is the same. Either possibility is very dangerous and you all need to get together and insist that he get treatment. Call the treatment center.