Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

hi dr. i was wondering i was prescribed depokate for mood stabilizer/depression

hi dr. i was wondering i was prescribed depokate for mood stabilizer/depression and possible adhd everything i read scares me, how safe is it? and how common is weight gain? i am already 100 pounds overweight and everything i google was about fast sudden weight gain, liver failure and hairloss HELP!!
Hi Karen: I would not trust too much online information on this. The net tends to get horror stories and often people do not have the best perspective reading side effects. It is often a very good weight stabilizer. The issue is it has a lot of potential side effects. Some people gain weight/some lose weight. It may change your appetite.
For you peace of mind I would have Liver Function Tests and again in 2-3 months. I have heard of hair loss only once or twice. Weight gain may be most likely, others are very rare (I don't have incidence numbers, just categories). I would at least give it a chance and be careful with diet at same time, and exercise. See if it works for you. for perspective, many people die from penicillin every year - rare reactions occur on every drug. Then you can see how it works for you and decide whether or not to continue. If anything acute happens, I would see it like a penicillin allergy - it happens, but rarely. I have seen a lot of patients on it. You may have some mild, uncomfortable reactions, but hopefully worth it