How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is going through this, it pains me to watch. She

This answer was rated:

My sister is going through this, it pains me to watch. She seems aware of all the destructive behavior that she is put through and has many of the warning signs, but just says she can't leave because they are his kids too and he has made her afraid that he will take them from her if she leaves. I told her to look up Psych abuse on the internet and hope she takes my advise. What can a woman do to escape this situation when she has kids?
Your sister is a victim of domestic abuse and she needs to contact the local battered women's shelter for assistance. She also needs to consult a lawyer, most of them will give a free consult, and find out what her rights are. She will most likely not lose her children if she stays in therapy, but she needs to do something now. Doing nothing will just allow things to get worse and not only will she suffer but so will her children.

Offer to go to see the lawyer with her and also call the battered womens' shelter and offer to go with her. She needs as much support as you can give.

You have a rough road ahead, but stick with it. I wish you both the best.

Warm regards,
Carol Kryder LMFT and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you