Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

What to do if catch your teens smoking or smellit on them or

Customer Question
what to do if catch...
what to do if catch your teens smoking weed or smellit on them or find it on their possession
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 7 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:

You need to make it very clear that if they use drugs there will be a consequence and then be sure to enforce that consequence. Taking away driving privileges is a good consequence for boys that age. You said the drug test was negative, which surprises me. You may need to have a professionally observed drug test at a clinic in order to get a valid result. THC stays in the system for weeks, so it is usually easy to pick up.

Tell the boys that if you suspect they are using you will be giving them random tests and if they are positive there is a consequence, the first time only, the second time they go to treatment.

Let me know if you have questions.
when i suspected the first time i went to their doctor for drug screening also and the doctor said it was ok but deep down i know something is not right.is there something else i should do differently?
The only thing you can do is start random drug screens, and don't tell them ahead of time so they don't have time to try to beat the test. Just say, "OK" in the car, we are being tested right now.

I wasn't satisfy with the answer and will like to cancell the service at this time

Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT