How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is a little complicated but here it is. I have a

This answer was rated:

My question is a little complicated but here it is. I have a problem urniating in public. Some people call it shy bladder. I get the urge to urinate and when I go to the bathroom I have a problem starting. If it is a small public bathroom and someone walks in, forget it, I cant urinate. I have been to a urologist who put me on Flomax that has help me some what to control the urge and empty my bladder. I feel that this is a psycholgical issue I have that I should seek treatment for. I am 50+ and have been dealing with this for about half my life and am at the point that I feel I need to do something about it.

Your symptoms are part of the umbrella of issues called Social Anxiety. People with social anxiety have difficulty eating, writing, speaking or urinating in public. It is more common than you might think.

My suggestion is that you ask your doctor for Paxil, which has been approved by the FDA for social anxiety. You might also want to see a cognitive-behavioral therapist for some strategies to help you with this issue.

The good news is that this is treatable and I am very glad you decided to do something about it. Let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,
Carol Kryder LMFT and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you