How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I find a board certified psychiatrist who accepts Medadvantage

Customer Question

How can I find a board certified psychiatrist who accepts Medadvantage to treat my ADHD in Portland, OR
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, if your insurance company does not have a psychiatrist on the network who is taking new patients you are out of luck. You will need to either go to a different city, or ask the insurance company if they will consider an out of network contract for you to see a doctor who meets your specifications, is taking new patients and will see you.

This is a growing problem for Medicare patients, because Medicare reimbursements do not cover the operating costs for the doctors. I suggest you look in surrounding cities, and be willing to drive some distance in order to find a doctor who will treat you.

Some people have worked with a clinical psychologist who specializes in ADHD and then gone to their family doctor for the medication, with the psychologist recommending to the doctor which medication to prescribe.

This is a difficult situation for you. However, if you are persistent you should be able to get some help.

I wish you the very best.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I was hoping to find some way of determining the qualifications of psychiatrists who are in the Medadvantage network. Driving to another city isn't really an option since the problem is widespread in Oregon and Washington. If I am going to have to pay for travel costs to California or some other state where reiumbursement rates are higher, I might just as easily pay for a non-medicare provider out of my own pocket. Then I am in an even worse position since I won't have the benefit of referrals from local people who know the psychiatrists. I would be using my primary care provider as you suggested, but he isn't comfortable prescribing medication for ADHD, nor is he able to respond in a timely manner. Apparently there is no satisfactory answer to my question. I'm sorry to have wasted your time and my money.
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
OK, I will opt out. Maybe someone else has a better idea. No need to pay unless you are satisfied.