Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Help. I just had to have my wife emergency evaluated. Age

64. Married for thirty years...
Help. I just had to have my wife emergency evaluated. Age 64. Married for thirty years. She has been having Hallucinations of kids and animals in the house, kids in the yard etc. She is cutting up pillows, comforters and furniture etc. pulling the stuffing out thinking there are cats in them. This has been going on for the last seven days. For the most part, when she sleeps, she carry's on vivid conversations with herself, or me if I talk to her, her hands twitch, and sometimes raise up in the air. She usually sleeps most during the day, and is up all night. I have to chase the kids out of the yard, or house. She called 911 and the Sheriffs office came. No help there, they said call again if another problem. A few nights later, after spending a few hours running up and down the street and thru the house at 1am yelling and looking for our youngest son age 27 who is in Canada. She again called 911 and reported him kidnapped. I have been trying to deal with her the best way I can, pleading for her to go to the ER. Been a long history here, and I am stressing out. She had me video the imaginary kids in the house and yard, and I did. The ER evaluated her and discharged her, they never talked to me. I had to request to talk to the doctor, and pleaded to them to look at the tape to tell me I can leave her in this state safely. I took my wife home and went back to talk to the Supervisor on duty with the same results. I am at a loss. She knows whats up, knows she pulled the wool over there eyes, and even got them to believe I was trying to have her committed and am abusing her. I had no problem getting a Emergency evaluation from the court, based on what I am seeing.
So, am I safe to leave her alone, while at work, it seems to be getting worse, how do I know how to handle the delusions so she does not snap, do I pretend to see what she is seeing ? I am not sure what, or who would be best to help me ?
7/1/2010
Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist

Hello Sir,

It sounds as if your wife is suffering from paranoia, a type of mental illness that requires a diagnosis from a psychiatrist and medication to help her symptoms. All of the hallucinations and concerns for her safety that you describe are symptoms of this illness. The difficulty with this illness is that the person who is suffering from it often does not recognise that they require help and is unwilling to seek advice, hence it is left to family and friends to try and get them there.

You can find details about paranoia on the web, try www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/otherconditions/paranoia

You can search for support groups in your local area for paranoia, as often the family and the carers are the ones who suffer most whilst trying to keep the person safe. They can tell you how best to handle her delusions. If you go along with them, she is less likely to alienate herself from you. It doesn't sound as if she is safe to leave alone - you need urgent help with this.

Talk to your GP/supervisor again and insist that she needs a referral to a specialist for her mental health, specifically paranoia. Explain about her delusions - they will have come across this before. Stand your ground as you have before.

Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist

Sarah,

Thank you so much.

I read the link, fits like a glove.

I don't understand why it's so hard to get help for someone.

After yesterday's event, I have done more damage, and added to the problem.

Whats worse is, I have lost all respect for the medical field.

At least you have given me hope and a direction on which to go.

I know my wife will never be OK, but, I can get help to better understand.

Thank you so much for your time and response,

You are very welcome Dan, thanks for your payment. If your wife can take the relevant medicines, her hallucinations should reduce. Keep persevering, you deserve better. Take care of yourself, it's hard on you too. Do try and give yourself a break by asking friends or family to help for an hour or two - and keep in touch with the web to give you information about carers, etc. Best Wishes, Sarah
Sarah
Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist