Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My Teenage son has been diagnosed with OCD from our

Customer Question
Hello, My Teenage son has...
Hello, My Teenage son has been diagnosed with OCD from our therapist. He suggested for him to go on medication to help his condition. He refuses due to the fear of the medication hurting him, in some way, even killing him. He has many anxieties, he has many phobias due do to the OCD, including the fear of dying. We have tried cognitive therapy. Did not work for him. It help for a second and then the same patterns came back. He has problems with finishing any tasks,
as simple as brushing his teeth and procrastinates with everything, waiting until the last minute to complete any homework. trouble sleeping, etc.
I can't force him to take the medication. We are very stressed out and so sad to see his beautiful mind not get the help he needs. what do you suggest?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/30/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:
It sounds like your son not only has OCD, he is paranoid to boot. Not to frighten you, but I would want a psychiatric evaluation because OCD and paranoia in adolescents can be the precursor to schizophrenia, and I would like to have that ruled out.

Once you have seen a psychiatrist who has ruled out the schizophrenia, I would talk to him about how his life has been impacted by his behavior, and that maybe he might want to try a medication for 3 days to see if his life becomes more manageable. If he is not happy after 3 days, he can quit the meds and try something else.

This will be very difficult. He is paranoid. If this continues and he becomes incapacitated, he may need hospitalization in order to become stabilized. It is of utmost importance that he find a therapist he trusts to confide in.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have further questions.