Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

When I (male) was 6 years old, I sexually explored with a…

Customer Question
When I (male) was 6...
When I (male) was 6 years old, I sexually explored with a male cousin who was 12 years old, this was over 30 years ago. He did not force me, and I din't think we were doing anything wrong, so I never told anyone. And I have never felt shameful. Also, I have vivid memories of all that occured.
We both came from families who did not ever mention sex, and in fact I didn't even properly understand sex until I was 17 years old.
I was never taught that others should or should not be touching my gentials, because this was never spoken of in my home. So, it felt natural to be exploring with him.
I never felt betrayed by my cousin and have no ill feeling towards him, however since the explosion of the Catholic priest scandal, I thought about what we did as kids, and it made me second guess what we had done.
Thoughts?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/29/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i believe that what you did was an innocent act of curiousity to know more about one's own body , plus at that young age, a child's mind is curious and tries to explore his sexuality , so basically you should not hold yourself or your cousin accountable of any kind of sinful act , it was an act of ignorance and innocence which shall be burried with past memories and you should not bother yourself with all these memories and stop reading in between the lines , as there is not much you can do about what happened and by being preoccupied about something which has no bearing on your present and future , you are just stressing yourself out over trivial and futile matters of innocent childhood past .

So, just forget all this and do not try to extract something out of all this , it is not worth investing your mind and energy and let it go by as an innocent act of childhood where you were an ignorant soul , unaware of the rights and wrongs ..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

PLease press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Also, I have a bit of guilt that I then explored with another cousin when I was around twelve and he was around seven.

Still at the age of 12 I was clueless about sex.

We used to have baths together. So, I thought it was normal to do what I had done with my other cousin.

Thoughts?

Well, do not think negatively and feel guilty about this , as all of this happened when you were ignorant about all this , so just move on in life and do not bother yourself with this .

Take care..

Regards..