Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I'm addicted too caffeine, I spend compulsively, I overeat…

Customer Question
I'm addicted too caffeine, I...
I'm addicted too caffeine, I spend compulsively, I overeat compulsively, I exercise compulsively, i feel like I'm just been driven by something-else and i can't get on with the things i really want to do. How can i break the cycle?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/29/2010
Mental Health Professional: Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA replied 8 years ago
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

Has the Doctor who prescribes your anti depressants given you a clear diagnosis, and if so, what is it?

Yes. He said it is work related stress/anxiety. I have had a lot or problems in work where a small group of people, one of whom is by boss, have been bullying me, accusing me of all sorts of things I havent done like fraud, hacking in to IT, screaming and shouting at people, sneaking on to premises I am not allowed on etc.

I have been suspended from work while it is all being investigated. Before I was off work I had been working 12 hour days for a very long time. I feel like my life is constantly on hold while I try to get a better situation in work. I have put on a lot of weight, and lost fitness and my I split with my partner and would like to find a new one but I dont have th eocnifdnece that anyone would be interested in someone who is in this situation. I am getting legal help with work and they think I will win but it is a long process and in the meantime I struggling to see how to rebuild my life.

Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

I think a lot of what you are going though, while it is related to your extremely stressful situation, as an attempt to distance yourself from it.

In this situation, in order to help you get a clearer perspective on things, I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

I believe it will help you deal with these quite compulsive behaviours, and help you to move on from them.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Best wishes, NormanM