Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What are the symtoms of alcohol induced psychosis? Would…

Customer Question
What are the symtoms of...
What are the symtoms of alcohol induced psychosis? Would this be it: my husband is an alcoholic (though he doesn't want to see it) anyway, he seems to believe that things have happened (like that I am constantly cheating on him, people are telling him this, that he has actually caught me in bed with someone, etc.). The thing is I have never cheated on him, he's never caught me in bed with someone, and what he says other people have said is totally off the wall. I have questioned people, including my own parents and siblings, about things he has said they've told him and they have no clue what I am talking about. He has even tried telling other people they have said or done something and they think he's crazy! This generally happens when he has been drinking, but now even when he is sober it is something that he completely believes to be true.It is like he is living in an alternate reality from the rest of the family. He never is home, whether he is working or not, and out of the blue quit a job he was doing for three years, because he wants to loaf around with his buddies. He'd rather work once in a while for whoever will give him a few days work. Our daughter has idolized her father all of her 8 years and over the weekend told me more than once that she hates her dad even more than she hates her big brother (it's a sibling thing).She says she hates him because of the way he treats everyone and the fact that he is always out with his friends getting drunk and won't stay home to spend time with her or the rest of the family. She even told her dad that and it didn't seem to affect him at all. Samantha has been the one of the three that Chris has always treated the best (favours her over her brothers). Chris tries to make every one of us feel like it is our fault that he is never home, that he drinks, that he does whatever the hell he is doing next. I know it isn't our fault, and try to get the kids to understand that too. I stay home with the kids 24/7 and I deal with all the fighting and the kids not listening and mouthing off and just being typical kids, and I don't need to resort to running out for a drink or hoot, or whatever he is doing. The kids know and see this and I think they realize that what their dad says is their fault really isn't. I know he needs help, what I am wondering is if it's worse than just alcoholism (not that that isn't bad enough!)?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/29/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You're picking up on the right clues here, so you're not crazy! I suspect something more than alcoholism is showing it's head here, but if he's off drunk each day and his life has deteriorated to the point where it's all wrapped around the bottle, he may just have late stage addiction and the toxicity is creating more damage than you would expect. It would be hard to tell without detoxing him. He could just be pulling everyone's leg and spraying the blame in a very weak attempt to keep eyes of his problems, but it sounds like more is going on with him.

AlAnon is very helpful for women in your situation, and you could use the support of women who know exactly what you're going through because they've been there themselves.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna