Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My granson is still soiling his pants he is 5yrs old, he…

Customer Question
Hi, My granson is still soiling...
My granson is still soiling his pants he is 5yrs old, he attends school and the school is now sending him home when this happens.
It tends to happen when he is playing the wii at home or at play time at school he has been to the doc he said it is a behaviour problem.
He has the wii taken off him when this happens, so i was just wondering how should we deal with this from now on.
His dad wet the bed until he was 16yrs nearly 17 and his grandad was the same but i don't know of any that soiled their pants.
Thanks
Kerryn
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/28/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:

I am so sorry that your child's school is punishing him for this behavior. Unless he likes being sent home, in which case he is being rewarded for this behavior. If that is the case, you need to work with the school to have him clean himself up and change clothes, then go right back to class. Make sure he is not being rewarded for soiling himself at school. That said, he shouldn't be punished either. You and the school need to treat this as neutrally as possible. Make him responsible for cleaning himself. No punishment, no reward.

If the doctor says this is a behavior problem, not a medical one, he needs to be seen by a child psychologist who can work with him on this issue. The family may need to be involved in this. If it is behavioral he is reacting to something going on in the family. You need professional help to find out what that is.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Warmest regards ***** ***** of you,