Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

IN 2007 I had a complete psychotic breakdown and was treated

Customer Question

IN 2007 I had a complete psychotic breakdown and was treated at Carolinas Behavioral Center. I had an MRi and cat scan and negative drug screen. they put me on respirdal for a short period but no results. I went to see Dr Addo and he started me on Celexa 60 mg per day and Klonpin 2mg in the morning and night. This helped for a while but depression and anxiety are worse. Lst year my mother died and she had an anti-pill called Alprazolam, I used her medication to see if it would help. It made a big difference, but Dr. Addo stated I would have to be under the care of a psychiatrist to try this medication.
I also feel if I had someone to talk with it would help. My entire personalty is different since this break down. I have also had multiple medical problems, including a broken right shoulder that required a prosthetic device, two broken elbows, and now my right arm is frozen. I hace osteoposis and 5 weeks ago I broke my left shoulder and clavicle and will find out on August 2 if surgery is needed. Please help me with my anxiety and depression and tell me what I shuold do next. Thank you ***** can you help me find dr who can help me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 8 years ago.

Hello Janet, and thank you for visiting JA.

You have been through a hard time, haven't you.

I think the very first thing is to get a second medical opinion to see if your medication, or the dose needs to be changed. Also, ask what they can do to help deal with your osteoporosis/

Secondly, in situations like yours, medication alone is often not the complete answer, and for that reason,
I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

You’ll also find some very good help here:

http://www.depression.com/

Best wishes,

NormanM