Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am in the throws of a messy divorce/custody strife. Over…

Customer Question
I am in the throws...
I am in the throws of a messy divorce/custody strife.
Over the past 2-3 years, I have been threatened with a baseball bat, had things thrown at me, police called on me, been called a "momma's boy" that needs to quit "being a f**kin' pussy" and grow some balls, I have been jailed once on false domestic abuse charges (to get me out of the house) as well as had the cops called on me last weekend due to "me breaking into her house and trying to strangle her and hit her with a pipe". This last time, the deputy talked to the doctor that she went to at the ER and the doctor basically stated that "there was no force behind the injuries". There was no bruising around the neck or anything. Just today, which is her weekend with the kids, she asked if I was going to go to a local town's summer parade as the kids wanted to know. Since I did not respond to her, she just replies that "I guess I won't tell the kids then...since you are not replying."
My wife can be charming in public when she wants to be, but she can also be very shy. She has been running to doctors for mostly thyroid problems, but most recently she states she has been diagnosed with "Severe Adult ADHD". Our oldest son takes Concerta for his ADHD and he states that my wife is either hiding it from him or she is taking the medication herself.
My question(s) are basically this....
1) Does this sound like BPD?
2) How do I deal with this as she is in complete denial of anything wrong with her and that 'none of this would have happened if I weren't such a quitter".
3) She is either dragging her feet on everything court-ordered or asked for as she "is poor and cannot afford" this or that. How do I get her to the table and get her to understand that she is hurting her own case for stability concerning our 11, 6, and 2 year old and their custody?
Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/27/2010
Mental Health Professional: cathy, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional

Hi JA customer and thanks for writing

No, from what you have posted you have not described BPD. Having said that she sounds like one awful human from hell.

Is there any reason you need a label to describe her behaviors?

She does not meet the criteria for BPD as you have posted but she certainly sounds dangerous.

How can we best help you on this?

Thanks, Cathy