Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Im a 26 year old professional male and I seem to be

Customer Question
Hello, im a 26...
Hello, im a 26 year old professional male and I seem to be suffering from extreme tunnel vision. When I say tunnel vision, I am stating my ability to focus only on my academic/career goals and sacrificing my interest in relationships. I have never dated or had any sort of romantic relationships with anyone and I am afraid at this point where to start. What troubles me is that in most social settings i am quite comfortable and cheerful to be around and seem to have many friends but nothing romantic. When closer friends inquire about my relationship status they begin to ponder why.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/27/2010
Mental Health Professional: Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Selah R, M.S. LPC
Many people take a career focused path and put off having serious relationships until later. Sometimes that's "part of the job" depending on the career path you're following. Your friends may not understand it or agree with it. But what really matters is how you feel about it. Also understand that you may be at a different maturity point in your life than your friends. You may be ready to jump on the career path while they still want to be relaxed partiers who just have jobs. It's just a different choice.

It sounds like you have social skills and can keep relationships. You're just choosing to make work a priority right now. There's nothing mentally unhealthy about that. When you're ready, you'll open the door to relationships. Or maybe you'll meet the right person and they'll throw your priorities to a grinding halt. Either way, choose what seems to be the best path for you and follow it.

Does that make sense?

Feel free to write back,
Selah